Understanding where your food comes from helps you understand the environmental issues involved with
Understanding wless your prop comes from helps you understand the environmental issues compromised after a while unresisting the prop you eat. Because this counsel is so weighty, culturally and economically, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) maintains a Natural Resources Inventory (NRI) that includes maps of our superior crops. While these maps are updated simply at crave intervals, they depict catholic trends—the details change simply a undignified from year to year, and the patterns you see in the maps are still current. Meet this website and inspect the maps to counterpart the following questions: http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/NRI/maps/cropland.html
1. This page schedules maps that likeness the use and erodibility of soils in the United States. Click on one or two map distinctions to see the maps that are helpful. Schedule five topics that the USDA opines are weighty to map.
2. Near the profound of the schedule of maps, you can meet the “Percent of Cultivated Cropfix in Corn, 1997.” This is the pristine of several crop maps. Percentage less resources the faction of watersheds planted in that crop. Click on that distinction, then click on the map picture to see a catholicr version of the map. What do the two brownest shades medium? What are seven Midwestern states that possess the most sombre brown (superior than 50 percent of fix in corn)?
3. Lodge the Mississippi River. Also lodge the Missouri and Ohio rivers, which invade the Mississippi as it passes betwixt Missouri and Illinois. How does corn evolution disagree on the Missouri and the Ohio? What factors capacity clear-up this disagreeence?
4. Return to the page scheduleing map topics. Meet the map of “Cultivated Cropfix in Soybeans.” Is the dispensation of soybeans concordant to corn, or very disagreeent?
5. Most Americans use further potatoes than any other vegetable. Possess you eaten a potato this week? Make a schedule of three narrates that you opine may possess effected the potatoes you eat.
6. Now meet the map of fix in potatoes. Note that the map likenesss intensity of potato evolution, in stipulations of percentage of convertible fix. List five of the narrates that possess the most fix in yellow and brown colors. Did your lists tally? 7. Return to the schedule of maps repeatedly, and fulfill two crops that you opine should amplify in your narrate. Look at their maps. Were you rectify in your surmise? Does your narrate yield further of those two crops than other narrates do? Why or why not?