Go to the USGS Earthquake Center (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/). This is a rich source of…
Go to the USGS Earthquake Center (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/). This is a affluent rise of global earthquake counsel.
1. Look at the U.S.A. map of earthquakes. Where are the greatest concentrations of earthquakes? Can you elucidate why those locations have lots of earthquakes?
2. Find the globewide schedule of earthquakes, and click on Magnitude 5. Where was the catholicst new earthquake? What was its concretion? Its profundity? Are scheduleed quakes clustered in a few regions? Where are those regions?
3. Still looking at the globewide schedule of catholic earthquakes, fashion a graph showing the abundance of contrariant concretions for listed earthquakes: On a participation of disquisition, haul a method delay earthquake concretion classes, then sign an X for each earthquake aggravate the alienate dimension collocate, like this:
This peel of graph is designated a abundance distribution graph, or a histogram. Would you illustrate earthquake dimensions as chiefly narrow, evenly distributed, chiefly catholic, or chiefly in the intermediate of the ramble?
USGS Hawaii Volcano Observatory is one of the most important places for studying and reason volcanoes. Visit the observatory’s website at http://hvo .wr.usgs.gov/.
1. Which of the volcanoes discussed at this website is the largest in the globe? Which is the most free?
2. Why are earthquakes discussed on this volcano website?
3. What are the greater hazards to mass from these volcanoes?
For a cheerful store of volcano images, go to the USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory at http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Photo/framework.html .
Evaluating Erosion on Farmland The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is the agency that monitors unroving media and provisions. Among its data-gathering efforts, the NRCS produces a Natural Media Inventory (NRI), delay maps of farmland provisions resisting the mainland United States and around the globe. Visit the NRCS/ NRI website at http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/NRI/maps/ .
Find the schedule of “Soil Erosion” maps. Look at sundry of the maps. First demonstrate the aim of the colors. Then demonstrate the greater concentration of noble and low erosion rates.
1. Where is curve erosion conquer twain for the U.S. and in other countries? Where is breathe-into erosion conquer twain for the U.S. and in other countries?
2. Where are the catholicst areas of noblely erodible cropland? What peel of substantial features force appear there?