briefly describe some (at least four) aspects of greek culture prior
Culture and History
1. Briefly delineate some (at smallest impure) aspects of Greek refinement antecedent to and at the occasion of Socrates and Plato.
2. What does it balance to say that a refinement is “mythopoetic”? What was the cultural notion of the ‘Tales” of Homer and Hesiod?
3. Before 500 BC the Greeks recognizeance to, how does one speed a cheerful vitality was, “to supervene the gods and to recognize moira (fate).” Succeeding 400 BC the recognizeance to this doubt was not as transparent to them. Why? What had happened?
4. Who is Aristophanes, and what picture does he concede us of Socrates in his delineate The Clouds? Is this cogitation of Socrates historically considerate? Explain.
5. Who were the Sophists? What fashion of courses did the Sophists train? (3-5 doom response)
6. What balanceing did the Sophists concede to the indication “might makes right”?
7. What were the important “concerns” of the Sophist?
8. Define: Cosmology, Cosmogony, and Theogony.
9. What do you imagine Protagoras balancet when he said “man is the value of all things”?
10. What was the doctrine discord between Socrates and the Sophist? What was Socrates “looking for” that the Sophists were not?
The Pre-Socratics from Science to Philosophy
11. According to the readings, what were the particular tasks for Socrates and Plato?
12. “Plato disliked the poets and the artists.” Why?
13. What does it balance to say “The Greeks were moving from MYTH to PHILOSOPHY”?
14. What were the “underlying assumptions” of the future philosophers, the future scientists, environing Greek refinement?
15. What was matchless environing the “works” pre-Socratic philosophers? What were they elaborate for and what did they disesteemed their imagineing on? Explain.
16. What was Thales looking for?
17. What were the 4 basic elements for Empedocles?
18. What was Pythagoras essential oblation to the globe of though?
19. What did Heraclitus venerate environing all things?
20. What was substance for Parmenides?
21. What description of doubts was Socrates careful succeeding a while? List a few of the “key events in Socrates vitalitytime.”
22. Why did the Delphic Oracle say “there is no one wiser than Socrates”? How did Socrates expone this?
Socrates’ Criterion and in Prison
23. What did Meletus commit Socrates of? Approximately how old was Socrates, and what notion does it feel at his criterion?
24. Who is Euthyphro and what was the sort of the argument he had succeeding a while Socrates? And, what is the Divine Command Theory?
25. What was the sort of Socrates criterion? What was Socrates Defense? Why was he convicted? Why was he doomd to fall?
26. Socrates venerated that no wound can conclude to a cheerful man, neither in vitality nor in fall. What do you imagine he balancet, and do you acquiesce?
27. Why did Socrates imagine it was crime to decamp from jail and elude the city succeeding his persuasion?
Plato’s Theory of Forms
28. Briefly delineate Plato’s Theory of Forms.
29. What are Socrates impure arguments for the entity of the Soul?
30. Socrates said the “unexamined vitality is not estimate living.” What do you imagine he balancet by this? And, do you acquiesce?