Leader of an Organization
Leader of an Organization
As an organizational leader, one of your primary roles is establishing programs and policies
that ensure the organization operates under ethical considerations and legal mandates. This
responsibility includes informing employees of the organization’s code of ethics;
communicating the code of ethics to them; providing training to them; and ensuring that
operational aspects, such as information technology, are administered in a legal and ethical
In this task, you will assume the role of a leader who must decide what leadership power
you will use to develop a strong organizational ethical climate. In your position as a leader,
you will need to satisfy the concerns of stakeholders, understand the organization’s ethical
standing, examine a code of ethics, develop a training program, and lastly, examine the
ethical consequences of certain information technology practices.
You are a business manager or administrator of Paradigm Toys, a publicly held company.
The board of directors has asked you to conduct an ethics audit of Paradigm Toys and report
to them the ethical climate of the organization, including corporate social responsibility, the
need for ethics training, and the ethical use of the company’s information technology assets.
Prepare a summary report (suggested length of 4–6 pages) for the board of directors at
Paradigm Toys in which you do the following:
A. Explain which one of the following powers you feel would be the most effective in
establishing an ethical climate at Paradigm Toys:
B. Identify two primary and two secondary stakeholders that influence Paradigm Toys.
1. Analyze two ways that the board of directors at Paradigm Toys will meet their
corporate social responsibility to the primary and secondary stakeholders identified in
C. Reflect on the importance of ethical leadership by doing the following:
1. Explain what an ethics audit is.
a. Discuss the value that an ethics audit could bring to Paradigm Toys.
2. Explain the use of a balanced scorecard when evaluating executive-level performance
at Paradigm Toys.
a. Discuss at least three reasons behind including financial and non-financial
performance factors in the balanced scorecard.
3. Explain the purpose of corporate social responsibility (CSR).
a. Explain how Paradigm Toys would practice corporate social responsibility.
D. Select a well-known, publicly-held company and analyze the company’s code of ethics
by doing the following:
Note: You should be able to find the company’s code of ethics on the company’s website
or in the company’s annual 10k report.
1. Analyze whether the code of ethics is lacking in the area of corporate social
2. Analyze whether the code of ethics is lacking in compliance with legal mandates.
3. Analyze whether the code of ethics is lacking in facilitating the development of an
Note: If the code of ethics is not lacking in these areas, make sure you explain why.
4. Include the code of ethics you analyzed with your response.
E. Create a proposal for implementing an ethics training program at Paradigm Toys by
doing the following:
1. Identify at least three key areas that you would include in your training program.
2. Explain how you would use communication to enhance the training program.
3. Recommend a delivery method that you believe would be most effective for the
F. Evaluate the IT issues listed below by doing the following:
1. Discuss how Paradigm Toys would address the ethical consequences of three of the
IT issues listed below.
? monitoring employees’ internet usage
? monitoring sites visited by employees
? recording keystrokes on employees’ computers
? sharing of client or employee data
? protection of client and employee data
? copyright, trademark, and patent protection
G. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.