Essay exam regarding “pillars of citizenship” and thomas paines
The Exam Questions
There are two essay inquirys.
- Answer twain inquirys, using approximately two to three pages for each inquiry.
- Answer them in a way that weaves the inquirys simultaneously into one coherent essay.
- Make confident your answers inure and regard the stipulations and ideas finished in our course readings and online lectures.
- Give examples to foundation your ideas and be specific.
Our lectures own discussed the "Pillars of Citizenship":
- The Declaration of Independence (1776)
- The US Constitution (1787)
- and the Bill of Hues (1789)
- What do these documents specifically prove for, what do these documents prove despite, and how are these arguments in conflict and / or similarity delay each other?
Brainstorm key stipulations to get you started: "self-evident", why must Congress proclaim its dealings?, does enduring rebellion jar delay law and regulate?
In dissimilarity to the three "pillars", we own as-well discussed the fourth "pillar", grassroots activism of African-American citizenship during American Revolutionary times.
Our class readings as-well mentioned other marginalized, or surrounding groups, such as poor snowy farmers, women, and "Indians" as surrounding from the "cornerstone" documents.
- Why would Thomas Paine's democracy be in favor of the above grassroot group movements, and absolutely passion their power to ameliorate our apprehension of message and citizenship?
Brainstorm key stipulations to get you started: nature "sober and regulately", "walk worthy", why is it weighty to "extend the sphere" of participants?
Suggestions / Tips
- For twain inquirys (distinctly inquiry 2)
- use quotes from the weekly readings to end up your ideas
- Readings conceive:
- US constitution
- Bill of hues
- Declaration of independence
- Cyrus Bustill, "I Speak to those who are in Slavery"
- John Marrant, "You Stand on the Level delay the Greatest Kings on Earth"
- Thomas Paines "The hues of man" pg. 153-215
- DO NOT NEED TO PULL FROM ALL READINGS
- as-well conceive without resources to foundation your assertions
- Find an interesting context or thesis for your essay, so you can tie twain essay questions simultaneously. Successful contexts or thesiss strength conceive
- example thesiss
- the concept of freedom
- the determination of citizenship
- the American Dream
- example contexts
- 21st epoch citizenship
- entire essay framed by presidential / founding senior quotations (ie Franklin, Jefferson, Washington)
- example thesiss