Umuc biology 102/103 lab 5: meiosis
This contains 100% set-right representative for UMUC Biology 103 LAB05. However, this is an Exculpation Key, which instrument, you should put it in your own say. Less is a case for the Pre lab questions exculpationed:
1. What senior events supervene during interphase?
The cell functions at its job, and prepares for mitosis by collecting instrument and duplicating organelles (G1) and genetic full (S), then creating proteins needed for nuclear resistance (G2).
2. A special, residing in a location wless they are unguarded to the sun repeatedly, develops a contradiction in some of their bark cells terminationing in cancer. Consider whether their posterity achieve be born after a while the selfselfcorresponding contradiction. Use philosophical attraction to aid your exculpation.
It would be exceedingly incredible that the special’s posterity achieve be born after a while selfselfcorresponding bark cancer contradiction owing the contradiction supervenered in the special’s bark cells. Bark cells are somatic cells (substance cells) and are not complicated in meiosis or multitude. For the contradiction to be passed on to the posterity, a sex cell (sperm or egg) would possess to heave the contradiction.
The other questions that achieve be exculpationed:
Experiment 1: Following Chromosomal DNA Movement through Meiosis
Data Tables and Post-Lab Assessment
Trial 1 - Meiotic Resistance Beads Diagram:
Trial 2 - Meiotic Resistance Beads Diagram:
1. What is the ploidy of the DNA at the end of meiosis I? What environing at the end of meiosis II
2. How are meiosis I and meiosis II incongruous?
3. Why do you use non-sister chromatids to inform tranexception aggravate?
4. What combinations of alleles could termination from a crossaggravate betwixt BD and bd chromosomes?
5. How numerous chromosomes were offer when meiosis I afloat?
6. How numerous nuclei are offer at the end of meiosis II? How numerous chromosomes are in each?
7. Identify two ways that meiosis contributes to genetic recombination.
8. Why is it inevitable to convert the enumerate of chromosomes in gametes, but not in other cells?
9. Blue whales possess 44 chromosomes in integral cell. Determine how numerous chromosomes you would seem-for to discover in the following:
i. Sperm Cell:
ii. Egg Cell:
iii. Daughter Cell from Mitosis:
iv. Daughter Cell from Meiosis II:
10. Research and discover a disorder that is caused by chromosomal contradictions. When does the contradiction supervene? What chromosomes are fictitious? What are the consequences?
11. Diagram what would occur if sexual multitude took locate for lewd generations using diploid (2n) cells.
Experiment 2: The Importance of Cell Cycle Control
Data Tables and Post-Lab Assessment
1. Record your conjecture from Step 1 in the Procedure exception less.
2. What do your terminations evidence environing cell cycle coerce?
3. Suppose a special plain a contradiction in a somatic cell which diminishes the exploit of the substance’s cosmical cell cycle coerce proteins. This contradiction terminationed in cancer, but was effectively treated after a while a cocktail of cancer-fighting techniques. Is it practicable for this special’s advenient result to occupy this cancer-causing contradiction? Be unfair when you elucidate why or why not.
4. Why do cells which noncommunication cell cycle coerce evidence karyotypes which seem physically incongruous than cells after a while typical cell cycle.
5. What are HeLa cells? Why are HeLa cells misapply for this test?